Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tuesday Tunes #2 - Summer Concerts

I love listening to music as much as I love reading, and buying tickets to concerts is one of my favorite ways to spend money! I am planning on several fun shows, so I thought I'd share with you some of the music I'll be hearing live.

The first event on my schedule is the 42nd Annual 2015 Old Port Festival, scheduled for this coming Sunday, June 14. This whole day is so much fun; Portland's Old Port is closed off to all traffic, and the neighborhood turns into this huge party with food, music, and various activities for kids. There are vendors from many of Portland's favorite restaurants and food trucks, as well as booths with local artists and artisans, and there are live music stages set up across a several-block radius. I've already planned out which stages I need to be at throughout the afternoon to catch the artists I want to see: Jacqui Lee, Andrew McMahon, Rachel Platten, The Veronicas, and Spose. I'm so lucky to live in such a great city, and I am very excited to see such a high-quality line up at no cost! As of right now, the forecast calls for a sunny Sunday with a high of 74 deg., but these things can change pretty rapidly in New England, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed!


After that, I'm not planning to see any shows (although there are a lot of great artists coming to Portland this summer) until the end of July, when I see The Decemberists with my roommate on July 29. I've loved The Decemberists for years, so this concert is definitely one that I'm looking forward to catching.

Just a few days after The Decemberists, I have tickets to see Colbie Caillat and Christina Perri on August 2. I am admittedly far more excited for Christina Perri: the year Colbie Caillat's first album came out, my coworker received it for Christmas and played it NONSTOP in the office for several weeks. So, while I have nothing against Colbie Caillat personally, and have definitely enjoyed her newer music, there is a slight possiblity that I'll want to punch something when she inevitably starts singing "Bubbly". I probably won't act on that impulse.

The last show on my summer calendar is The Beach Boys on August 13, which I'll be attending with my mom. She is a native Southern Californian, and I lived in California for many years as well, so the music of The Beach Boys just speaks to us.... I wish they could all be California girls, and all that.







Do you have any cool summer concerts lined up? I'd love to hear about them!

8 comments:

  1. oh man. Ed Sheeran is here on Friday and I wasnt' able to get any tickets. And Kings of LEon isn't touring right now, so no music festivals/concerts this summer for me. BOo.

    Sounds like you're going to have loads of fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed Sheeran was here in Maine a couple of weeks ago, but I just couldn't figure out a way to make it work (physically & financially). And now he's saying he wants to take a break from touring once this one is over! I might try to make it down to Boston later this year to see him, but I'm not sure if it'll work out.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to a date (Friday) of the Reading Festival in the UK. It's my first time going to festival and I'm SOO excited. Especially since a lot of my favourite artists are playing - and I'm going with one of my best friends. I also have a gig this coming friday for 5 Seconds of Summer who are one of my all time favourite bands. Exciting times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going to festivals! I think my favorite was when Mumford and Sons toured right before their second album was released; they did a Gentlemen of the Road Stopover here in Portland, and even though it was just one day, there were so many great artists. So have fun at the Reading Festival, as well as at 5 Seconds of Summer - I love their music also :)

      Delete
  3. Beach Boys would be so much fun! You have an awesome summer coming up!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the show... and keeping my fingers crossed that John Stamos will be traveling with them ;)

      Delete
  4. I'd love to see Christina Perri and The Veronica live!

    Serena / www.ramblingsofanotherunistudent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free music is always fun, but I just think it's crazy that I'll be seeing The Veronicas for free! I'm very excited for this weekend :)

      Delete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS