Tuesday, June 2, 2015

TOP TEN BOOKS I'D LOVE TO SEE MADE INTO TV SHOWS/MOVIES

Top Ten Tuesday is a wicked awesome meme brought to us by the lovelies at The Broke and the Bookish.

I have pretty mixed feelings about adaptations. Sometimes they're wonderful, like Harry Potter, Call the Midwife, and a good chunk of the series from Masterpiece Classics. On the other hand, some of my favorite favorite books have been slaughtered, like Ella Enchanted and Ender's Game. And sometimes I can't really decide how I feel: I loved Neil Gaiman's Stardust, and my whole family went to see it in theaters, but there were definitely parts of the movie that did not track at all with the book. But overall, I still enjoyed it! I know it can be tricky to adapt a book for movies/TV, and I definitely don't want any of these adapted just for the sake of having the movie or TV show. I only want them if they are done right!



1. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

2. Persuasion by Jane Austen (Yes, I know it's been done. But I want a GOOD adaptation! It's so much shorter than Emma or Mansfield Park, so it shouldn't be too hard to just do it right. I'd even take an adaptation of a remake, like For Darkness Shows the Stars.)

3. James Herriot's memoirs (Hey, they did it with Call the Midwife!)

4. The Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig (Although I don't know how they'd fit in Eloise.)

5. Pretty much any series by Tamora Pierce (I prefer the series set in Tortall, but the Emelan books would also make for great adaptations.)

6. Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

7. The Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo

8. Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

9. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

10. If the new adaptation of Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments, Shadowhunters, goes well, I could see a movie trilogy for The Infernal Devices.

How do you feel about adaptations? Do you have a favorite or least favorite adaptation that's already been done, or do you have a book that you'd desperately love to see adapted?

16 comments:

  1. I really hope producers are reading all the lists today that have Throne of Glass! And Rebel Belle would be EPIC!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm perhaps we should send the URL from The Broke and The Bookish with all of the link-up URLs...give them something to do.
      And I think Rebel Belle would be really great on a network geared toward the same audience.... so maybe The CW?

      Delete
  2. I know The Scorpio Races was picked up by Focus Films not long ago, but there hasn't been any new news since January. So there's hope for a TSR movie, but its still up in the air.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY?! I shall have to keep my eyes open! Thanks for letting me know :)

      Delete
  3. The Grisha series would be uber cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, you didn't like Ender's Game?!! I LOVED THAT ONE> XD I guess it's good that there are different kinds of adaptions and they appeal to different people, right?! BUT OMG. I would give a lot for Shadow & Bone. xD
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tbh, I didn't even finish the movie... But not because I hated any specific aspect of the movie... it was more that all of my favorite parts (like, 95% of the battle games) were missing from the movie, which made me so very sad.

      Delete
  5. I had Throne of Glass on my list this week too. I'd also like to see The Scorpio Races on screen because I figure I might enjoy it more on screen than as a book. I didn't even think of James Herriot's memoirs but I'd love to see them as a TV show (I think there have been some adaptations already).
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/top-ten-tuesday-7/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally inspired me to actually search for James Herriot on IMDb, and it turns out that there was totally a TV show based on his books in the late '70s-early 90s, as well as a more recent mini-series based on his university days..... Womp womp.

      Delete
  6. I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THE GRISHA TRILOGY. OH MY GOD. THE SETTING, THE OUTFITS, THE WHOLE FANTASY ELEMENT. NIKOLAI. NEED. NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know you read the Pink Carnation series! I really like those books. I can't believe the last one is coming out this year!
    Definitely agree about The Scorpio Races (or any Maggie books), and Persuasion (it totally needs a new and better adaptation!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Pink Carnation series! I read the first couple several years ago and then lost track of them, so it's only in the last six months or so that I've really started reading the series more intentionally. I think they're a lot of fun, and I can't wait to catch up and see how the series ends!

      Delete
  8. I want the Grisha series so badly! I should really re-read it this summer, I love it so much!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the first book so far, but my plan is to finish the series this fall!

      Delete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS