Wednesday, June 10, 2015

P.S. I Still Love You - Review

P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
Pages: 337
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: May 26th 2015
Genre: YA/Contemporary


Synopsis (from Goodreads)Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.

She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing. 


My Thoughts: 

When I read To All the Boys I've Loved Before last year, I immediately fell in love with Lara Jean and her family. My parents are still living, and are both remarried, so even though I have three more parents than Lara Jean, I still really connected to the Song girls. My two younger sisters and I used to fly back and forth between California and Maine several times a year, and even though we have a step-sister in Maine and a younger half-brother in California, I often thought about the Bannister girls in a very similar way. Don't get me wrong, I love Abby and Riley as fiercely as I love Laurie and Holly, and I rarely even mention the 'step' or the 'half' when I'm talking about them (Abby has been my sister for 18 years, and Riley has been my brother since his birth, which was 15 years ago) but going from house to house together certainly gave the three of us a unique bond. I'm the oldest sister in both families, so it was interesting to read from Lara Jean's middle-daughter perspective.

I was so glad that P.S. I Still Love You picked up right where To All the Boys I've Loved Before left off. Sometimes sequels seem a little forced, but I think the flow between these two books was perfect. I enjoyed getting to know the Covey family better this time around, especially with Kitty meddling in Mr. Covey's love life. The secondary characters in general were definitely standouts this time around: Stormy and Alicia, Mrs. Rothschild, Chris, Genevieve, and even Peter's little brother, Owen. Oh, and I loved the addition of John Ambrose McLaren. There is a bit of a love triangle in this, so take that into consideration if that type of situation bothers you. I personally have no problems with most love triangles, and this one definitely was not a problem for me.

One thing that made me especially happy about this book was the way Jenny Han handled the double standard Lara Jean faced with the infamous hot tub video. A lot of my English Lit classes were cross-listed with the Women and Gender Studies program at my school, so this is something I've learned to keep an eye out for over the years. I just wanted to throw something whenever I read how much harder Peter and Lara Jean's classmates were on Lara Jean, even though they were both in the video. So no cool!

All in all, I thought this was a great sequel. I tend to like the beginnings of stories better than the middles and ends (hence the gigantic June TBR), but P.S. I Still Love You was really great. I think To All the Boys I've Loved Before was maybe a smidge better, but this was still a solid book.

Rating: 4 stars!


Quotes I Liked (from the Kindle edition):
  • "Boys will be boys, but girls are supposed to be careful: of our bodies, of our futures, of all the ways people judge us."
  • "There's a Korean word my grandma taught me. It's called jung. It's the connection between two people that can't be severed, even when love turns to hate. You still have those old feelings for them; you can't ever completely shake them loose of you; you will always have tenderness in your heart for them." 
  • “'I think that as long as you're ready and it's what you want to do and you're protecting yourself, then it's okay and you should do what you want to do.'
  • Margot says, 'Society is far too caught up in shaming a woman for enjoying sex and applauding a man. I mean, all of the comments are about how Lara Jean is a slut, but nobody's saying anything about Peter, and he's right there with her. It's a ridiculous double standard.'”
  • “It's only then that I realize: Peter wasn't the one who needed to get over Genevieve. It was me. All this time with Peter, I've been comparing myself to her, all the ways I don't measure up. All the ways our relationship pales next to theirs. I'm the one who couldn't let her go. I'm the one who didn't give us a chance.”
  • “'I don’t think any man is my equal. Women are far superior, and don’t you forget it. Don’t forget any of the things I just told you.'”

2 comments:

  1. I've been keeping my eye on this book, so I'm glad to see your review. I liked the first book a little bit less than a lot of people did, but that was partially because I didn't realize while reading it that there was going to be a sequel and I was kind of left with a feeling of "That's it?" So now I really want to read the sequel so that I can feel better about the whole thing! LOL!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know how many reviews you've already read, and I don't necessarily want to spoil anything for you, but you totally get to read the letter Lara Jean was working on at the end of book 1! And it comes pretty early in the story, so you won't have too long to wait!

      Delete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS