Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day Fun


CA family (minus Kathy), L-R: Me, Riley, Laurie, Dad, Holly, Grandma
ME family, L-R: Abby, Me, Mom, Holly, James, Laurie, Grandma





Happy Father's Day to my super awesome dad & step-dad, as well as any other dads out there! I don't actually get to spend today with either of them, since my dad (Rick) is in California, where he lives, and my mom and step-dad (James) are visiting my aunt and uncle in Barcelona.

Growing up as a bookworm, both my dad and James were great about making sure I had all the books I could handle: my dad repeatedly let me buy books from the Scholastic catalog that came home with me throughout the school year, and James would take us to the library about once a week when we spent our summers in Maine. I'm so thankful that both of my fathers are readers (as are my mom and step-mom), because kids really do look up to their parents in the hopes of mimicking them. I had great examples to look up to! 

I thought it would be fun for Father's Day to ask them both a bunch a questions about their reading habits going way back, so here are their answers!


Name: Rick
Age: 56
Occupation: Small business owner


What book are you currently reading (or what is the most recent book you read)? Soldier XVII by Todd Brooks.
I like action adventure type of books in general and this book fits the category, except this is a Christian perspective of a soldier/spy. I won't tell you how the story ends since I don't know, the second book will continue where this one stops. Written by a Christian man who was kind enough to invite Laurie to live with his family while she finished college. Todd Brooks lives the kind of Christian life he writes about.

What is your favorite genre? Action adventure.  I also like biographies, particular biblical biographies.
​Like many guys, I like the doing things, battling evil, with character development to contrast the two.​

Do you have a favorite author? John MacArthur
and 


My mother was a teacher and she would get Burroughs' publisher to donate paperback books to her school and I would get to read them all as well. 
Plus every summer vacation, my mom would encourage/require us to read twenty books
​, so that was a good time to access those which she had at her school.  The ones I liked a lot she would recommend them to her students.  Since she taught at a public school for​ boys that was their last chance to stay in the LA city school district (most were placed by the legal system in minimal security boys "home" next door to the school).  So I don't get that connection.

What was your favorite book growing up?​I grew up going to library every week, reading all the time.  The local library was very familiar to me and I would scan the shelves for ​books that would pique my interest. So, Tarzan/John Carter of Mars series, Hobbit/Rings trilogy and fictional sports books.  I read these books 5 times or so.
As a teenager, I got to the point of playing sports all the time instead of reading about them.

Do you have a favorite fictional character? No favorite 
character​ 
really, but if I was forced to choose one it would be ​John Carter of Mars.


Do you re-read books you love? Yes, if it is a good book I read it at least twice​.  Many books are read 5 or 6 times.

When and where do you like to read? I love to read during "leisure" time.  Which often as an adult I have none of, but that requires I reorient my reading to priority items.  I try to read some Bible in the mornings. I really like being in a Bible study group, so I usually do that reading during my lunch hour. That is more likely a digital copy on my computer than a physical book.

Do you use an e-reader or tablet? If not, would you ever consider using one for reading? I do have a tablet and a number of books on it.  The genre of these books is "free" and interesting to me. 

What do you do if you start a book but can't get into it? Finish it? Or set it aside and look for something better? If it is an unfamiliar author, I might set it aside for a time but will get back to it two or three times.  A familiar author I probably keep going.

What makes you decide to read a book (recommendations, looks good at the bookstore, etc.)? Either they are gifts, or sometimes my family (they go to library every week) will bring me a book.  Otherwise I try to read something that my 15 yr old is reading, like the Maze Runner books.​







Name: James
Age: 49
Occupation: Art Teacher


What book are you currently reading (or what is the most recent book you read)? 'Transhuman' by Ben Bova

What is your favorite genre? Science Fiction

What are your top three favorite books?'Neverwhere', 'Anansi Boys', 'Stardust'.

Do you have a favorite author? Neil Gaiman.

What was your favorite book growing up? 'Tarzan of the Apes' -Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Do you have a favorite fictional character? Tarzan.

Do you re-read books you love? Yes.

When and where do you like to read? In the classroom, and at night before bed.

Do you use an e-reader or tablet? If not, would you ever consider using one for reading? Nope. Nope.

What do you do if you start a book but can't get into it? Finish it? Or set it aside and look for something better? If it doesn't tickle my fancy in the first 100 pages I abandon it.

What makes you decide to read a book (recommendations, looks good at the bookstore, etc.)? Looks good at the bookstore, or it's an author I'm familiar with that I wish to pursue.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS