Thursday, January 1, 2015

End of the Year Book Survey

     Happy 2015! I love this 2014 Survey courtesy of Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner. It's the perfect way to look back at all the books I read in 2014.

reading-stats-2014

Number Of Books You Read: 68
Number of Re-Reads: 8
Genre You Read The Most From: It's difficult to say!

best-YA-books-2014

1. Best Book You Read In 2014?

(If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Man this is a super tough question. I discovered Sarah J. Maas this year, so I'll go with the whole Throne of Glass series to date.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?


 Matched by Ally Condie. I got really excited when I saw it at the library when I went in for the first time in forever, but I think I'm dystopian-ed out for the time being.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?

Definitely Looking for Alaska by John Green. I don't want to give anything away if you haven't read it yet, but I really did not enjoy the surprise that came maybe halfway through the book.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?

Throne of Glass. Hands down. I made all three of my sisters read it, plus two of my best friends. And just this morning I sent my sister's best friend home with my copy to read immediately.

5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

 Best series started in 2014: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas or The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater.
Best sequel of 2014: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas.
Best Series Ender of 2014: Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?

 I feel like this isn't a fair question! This is the year I discovered Stephanie Perkins, Sarah J. Maas, Maggie Stiefvater, Rainbow Rowell, Gayle Forman, Jenny Han, etc.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

 I read most of Cinder by Marissa Meyer (I haven't finished it yet so it's not included in my total for this year), which was something I hadn't intended to do. I didn't really think I'd like a book with a cyborg protagonist, but I ended up really loving this book! I had to return my audiobook to the library, so now it's just a matter of finishing the e-book I now own.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

 I think I'm going to be super repetitive here and say the whole Throne of Glass series. ALTHOUGH I did find Attachments by Rainbow Rowell to be pretty unputdownable, if not necessarily action-packed.

9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

 .......And again, the Throne of Glass series. But there's a fourth book coming out in the fall, so I'll need to re-read everything!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?

 I can't pick, so I'm going to share my top 3: 
    


11. Most memorable character of 2014?

 Celaena Sardothien!

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?

 Either The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern or Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?

The Life and Traditions of the Red Man by Joseph Nicolar. I read this for an early American lit class I took this spring, and it was definitely thought-provoking.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?

Divergent and Insurgent. I only started the series because I saw the movie trailer. I really enjoyed both of these books, but the end of Allegiant was spoiled for me, so I'm not in any hurry to finish.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?


“Spanish, huh?" he said, glancing down at the scattered papers as he grabbed them. "Can you say anything interesting?"

"El tono de tu voz hace que queria estrangularme." I stood up and waited for him to hand over my papers.
"That sounds sexy," he said, getting to his feet and handing me the stack of Spanish work he'd swept together. "What's it mean?"
"The sound of your voice makes me want to strangle myself."
"Kinky.” 
― Kody KeplingerThe DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend


16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest: Acting Out by Bernard Stiegler
Longest: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

17. Book That Shocked You The Most

(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
I'll go with Looking for Alaska by John Green on this one.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
How on earth am I supposed to pick just one?! I just finished Princess of Thorns, so I'll say Aurora and Niklaas!

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

 Celaena Sardothien and Rowan Whitethorn!

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Splendour Falls by Susanna Kearsley or The Secret Life of Violet Grant by Beatriz Williams (both of whom have new books coming out in 2015!!)

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

 I had never heard of Across the Universe by Beth Revis until Sanne from booksandquills suggested it to Estee from Essiebutton. So it wasn't necessarily recommended to me, but I thought it sounded interesting so I read it!

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?

 Oooh I think Roth from White Hot Kiss! Yummy.

23. Best 2014 debut you read?

A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall. It happens to also be the only 2014 debut I read this year.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

 The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

The whole Anna and the French Kiss series. I just love books with sweet endings, and I really enjoyed all three books.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?

 I cried while reading two books this year: Heir of Fire and The DUFF. Heir of Fire was actually in public...I was finished with work for the day and reading in a coworker's office while she finished up... but I gave her fair warning that tears would soon be shed. She's not a reader, so she just rolled her eyes at me.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

 Oy. I don't know... most of the books I read in the latter half of the year were the result of me trying to catch up with the popular YA publications from the last few years....nothing super out of the way. But I will say that I am disappointed with every non-5-star review I see of "Midnights" by Rainbow Rowell in My True Love Gave to Me.  I just love it so much!

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

 So, I read The DUFF super late one (work) night while I was PMS-ing [super sorry if that's TMI], and I ugly cried for a while. It was an ugly cry mostly fueled by sleep-deprivation and hormones, but still. High school is hard for girls! I was lucky enough to have wonderful friends/relationships/family in high school, and I had a great high school experience all things considered, but it's just a rough time for people in general. This book instantly brought me back to that time of my life.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?

 The Lost Days (Emily the Strange #1) by Rob Reger

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

The whole Tradd Street series by Karen White. I really liked the books about 85% of the time, but I HATED every time Jack or somebody gave Melanie a hard time about how she was feeling. WOMEN ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE FEELINGS WITHOUT BEING TOLD THEY'RE BEING UNREASONABLE. And I especially hated every time Melanie said/thought something about how she knew she was being unreasonable but just didn't want to back down so she could save face. FEEL YOUR FEELS, MELANIE!!

book-blogging


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?

 Umm.... All of the book blogs!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?


3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

 I don't think I have one!

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?


I really like Top Ten Tuesdays! But I haven't really done any other events...I'd like to keep my eyes open for more events though! 

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?

 Starting my blog!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Top Ten Books I'm Looking Forward to in 2015 was the most popular both by comments and views.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

 Honestly, at this point I'm just excited people are looking at my blog at this point!

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Pretty much all of the book blogs out there! Plus a new-to-me Etsy store: AMPjournaldesigns. And Litographs! I got the Anne of Green Gables tote for Christmas :)


10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

 My original Goodreads goal was 52 books - one book per week, which seemed like a decent goal for a person who works one full time & was in school for the first 5 months of the year & works multiple part time jobs, but I hit that mark over the summer (AKA once I had graduated and no longer had school/homework distracting me). I moved my goal up to 75 books, but I only finished 68.


looking-ahead-books-2015


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?

 I think it's basically impossible to pick just one, so I'm gonna skip this one. Because I can.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?

 A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

 The Storyspinner by Becky Wallace

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?

 I'm wicked excited for Throne of Glass #4!!!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?

 Keep on keepin' on. I've learned a lot over the last few months of blogging, but I know there are still so many things I can do to improve my blog!

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:

 I haven't read any yet! I have a couple 2015 ARCs to read, but I haven't quite made it that far yet.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome 2014 wrap-up! And thank you so much for mentioning my Etsy store! You're so sweet! :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I'm happy to mention the Etsy store! Your notebooks are beautiful and I want them all!

      Delete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS