Saturday, January 3, 2015

2015 Challenges

Up until this year, the only reading challenge I've ever done was the Goodreads challenge. I thought I'd branch out a (teeny) bit more this year, so I'm including the Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge and the 2015 Book Blog Discussion Challenge hosted by Feed Your Fiction Addiction and It Starts at Midnight. I'd be lying if I told you that I wasn't at all nervous, but I am definitely game.


My Goodreads challenge for last year was 52, but I ended up reading 68 books. This year, since I'm no longer in school and (in theory) have more time at my disposal, I decided to challenge myself to reading 100 books. I've already finished one, and I'm more than halfway into the next, so I feel pretty good about my start so far.



Some of the ideas I have for discussion posts:
  • Time management as it relates to blogging/reading/real life
  • Books turned into movies
  • ARCs
  • Reading/book soundtracks
  • Keeping track of my TBR/Goodreads shelves


This one is the most daunting, but I took every single one of these books from my TBR lists, so that should help keep me from feeling overwhelmed. Here's what I've got planned so far, although I have zero qualms about changing my mind at any point throughout the year:
  1. A book with more than 100 pages: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers  read 1/2/15
  2. A classic romance: Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
  3. A book that become a movie: Queen of the Tearling (cheating a little since this hasn't been released yet...but it is in development! If this doesn't look like it's going anywhere, I'll substitute this for something more appropriate.)
  4. A book published this year: First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen
  5. A book with a number in the title: 99 Days by Katie Cotugno
  6. A book written by someone under 30: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi read 1/30/15
  7. A book with nonhuman characters: Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman
  8. A funny bok: Yes, Please by Amy Poehler
  9. A book by a female author: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  10. A mystery or thriller: In the Woods by Tana French
  11. A book with a one-word title: Sabriel by Garth Nix
  12. A book of short stories: The Assassin's Blade - Sarah J. Maas (I know novellas and short stories are not the same thing but this is as close as I'm likely to get to short stories.)
  13. A book set in a different country: Forbidden by Kimberley Griffiths Little
  14. A nonfiction book: Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth
  15. A popular author's first book: Sheltering Rain by Jojo Moyes
  16. A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet: Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly
  17. A book a friend recommended: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
  18. A Pulitzer Prize-winning book: Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
  19. A book based on a true story: The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
  20. A book at the bottom of your to-read list: Atonement by Ian McEwen (I've seen the movie, and I know I don't like how this ends, but I'm going to read it anyway now.)
  21. A book your mom loves: The Color Purple by Alice Walker
  22. A book that scares you: The Likeness by Tana French
  23. A book more than 100 years old: The Sonnets by Shakespeare
  24. A book based entirely on its cover: The Princess in the Opal Mask by Jenny Lundquist
  25. A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos (I actually wrote my senior thesis on this book....but never finished the back half. Still got an A *pats self on back*)
  26. A memoir: Wild by Cheryl Strayed
  27. A book you can finish in a day: The List by Siobhan Vivian
  28. A book with antonyms in the title: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
  29. A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit: Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout (NOLA, baby!) read 1/5/15
  30. A book that came out the year you were born: Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
  31. A book with bad reviews: The Uninvited Guest by Sadie Jones (I went through my TBR and found a book with the lowest average rating: 2.98. Not super low, but low enough that I might not have made it a priority otherwise.)
  32. A trilogy: The Mara Dyer Trilogy by Michelle Hodkin
  33. A book from your childhood: Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (a favorite re-read)
  34. A book with a love triangle: Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo
  35. A book set in the future: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
  36. A book set in high school: P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
  37. A book with a color in the title: Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
  38. A book that made you cry: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (I only cried during two books last year, so this is difficult to predict, but I did do a bit of research. If I don't cry, I'll keep looking for a tear-jerker)
  39. A book with magic: Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
  40. A graphic novel: Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 by Gail Carriger
  41. A book by an author you've never read before: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski read 1/30/15
  42. A book you own but have never read: Possession by A. S. Byatt
  43. A book that takes place in your hometown: Delirium, Lauren Oliver [Portland, ME] (I'm not originally from Maine, but I've lived in and/or near Portland for the last 11 years).
  44. A book that was originally written in a different language: Grimm's Fairy Tales
  45. A book set during Christmas: Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle
  46. A book written by an author with your same initials: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (different middle initial, but still SB!)
  47. A play: Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare
  48. A banned book: Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews
  49. A book based on or turned into a TV show: Mr. Kiss and Tell by Rob Thomas [based on Veronica Mars, aka the best thing ever]
  50. A book you started but never finished: The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak


And there you have it! These are 52 of the books that are going toward my goal of 100 books to read in 2015!

Are you doing any challenges? Have you done challenges in the past? If so, what were your thoughts/do you have any advice?

14 comments:

  1. Good luck with your challenges this year, Sarah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing and you're so detailed about it! GO YOU! I've joined up to quite a few challenges, mostly a bookish bingo and the goodreads challenge and also a Fairy Tale retelling challenge! I'M EXCITED! I hadn't done any challenges before this year (apart from Goodreads) so I'm keen to see if I can stick to them all. ;-)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your challenges! It's so sad to say that I probably haven't picked up a single book this year. Reading is definitely something I need to get back on, it's quite motivating seeing your reading goals :)

    becky ♡ star violet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Everybody in my family reads a lot, so I didn't have much of a choice :)

      Delete
  4. I really REALLY want to read Wicked by Jennifer L Armentrout! It seems awesome but I don't know what people think about it. And go you for trying the challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it! I thought it was about a 3.5. I was glad I read it, but it's not a book I'll find myself re-reading over and over. I'll definitely keep going with the series.

      Delete
  5. I wanted to join some challenges this year too but alas, college. Like you, I usually do the Goodreads challenge though. I'm really liking the looks of Popsugar challenge though, seems fun! Good luck with all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first year free from college, and I am sooooo enjoying having the time to read for pleasure! I don't think I've read this much since I was in high school.

      Delete
  6. Whoa, good luck on the challenges! It's so cool that you're doing this. They look really scary but I'm sure you'll manage :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you luck on your challenge. I'm hoping to finally sign up for some next year, I just didn't have the time in 2015 :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice challenges!! I'm doing the discussion one and the goodreads challenge. Good luck on the Popsugar check list one! :D

    http://aperfectioncalledbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post !!!

    I love your blog

    would love to know your thoughts on my new post Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    MyBlogloving

    MyFacebook

    I have also shared your blog with my friends :)

    Have a nice day

    Jade

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS