Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Top Ten Books I Read In 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is a really awesome meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


     I'm so glad that The Broke and the Bookish had this topic planned for today because I was already planning to do a post like this for either this week or next week, and now I get to link up my post with a bunch of wonderful bloggers to boot.
     Overall, 2014 was a big year for me in terms of reading and blogging. I have always, always been a big reader, but I've had limited time to read for pleasure over the last several years while I was getting my degree in English (I even took a class or two every summer, so I never had more than a couple weeks off). As an English major a lot of my time was spent on assigned reading, so when I graduated in May I went a bit hog wild with all of the books I couldn't justify reading during the semester. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely loved the English program I was in, but it is soooo nice to come home after a long day at work and NOT have to come home to do homework or head to school for night classes.
     My reading expanded and exploded this spring, and I made a conscious decision to start reading YA again. I mean, it's not all I read, but in general I am more excited by new YA than I am by most adult fiction (notable exceptions: I will always read anything and everything by Sarah Addison Allen, Lauren Willig, Beatriz Williams, Susanna Kearsley, Carol Goodman, and JK Rowling). The whole world of YA is so different from all of the (sometimes boring) critical theory I read for my degree, and I am still reveling in the juxtaposition.
     I discovered the world of book bloggers over the summer, and I knew almost immediately that I wanted to join this community. So I did! Sarah Can't Stop Reading went live at the end of September, and while I'm still figuring out a LOT about my blog and the world of blogging, I am so happy and excited to be even a little involved in the book blogging community.
     For my 'Best of 2014' list, I am definitely going over just 10 books. I think I'm over even if I group some books together by authors I discovered in 2014. But you know what, that's ok, 



     I somehow didn't know about Sarah J. Maas or any of these books until August!



     I loved both of these books, but I especially loved her short story in My True Love Gave to Me!


     All great books, plus Maggie Stiefvater seems like a super cool human being in general. I'm in.



     Great characters + great settings + great stories = one great series.

5. My True Love Gave to Me (Edited by Stephanie Perkins):


     While all of the stories are lovely and worth reading, my favorites were the stories by Rainbow Rowell (of course), Stephanie Perkins, and Gayle Forman.



     High school is hard, and while the plot of The DUFF might not have been realistic based on my personal high school experience, I think Kody Keplinger definitely has her finger on the pulse of how high school students think and feel. There might have been some ugly crying going on while I was reading this one.

6. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman:


     I absolutely love Rachel Hartman's dragons in this book, and I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel!



     Daughter of Smoke and Bone was one of the most beautiful books I've read in a long time!



     "Passion, redemption, and a battered suitcase full of secrets" = you better just read this ASAP.



     Another absolutely stunning novel. I never wanted it to end!



     Like I said, I'll read anything by JK Rowling, and I can't recommend this series enough to anybody who enjoys reading crime fiction.



     This was the first thing I'd ever read by Jenny Han, so I didn't really have any expectations for this beyond thinking the synopsis sounded intriguing. Since I read it this summer, I have successfully made quite a few friends read it as well.



     I am a Marshmallow, so of course I was excited to hear that a book was being released this spring in addition to the movie. And there will be a sequel!



     I love Sarah Addison Allen, and Lost Lake was a wonderful addition to my library.



What were the best books you read in 2014?

17 comments:

  1. TOG is AMAZING!!! RAINBOW ROWELL! She's awesome as are her books! DUFF was pretty great too, but I'm not really looking forward to the movie.

    Night Circus, DoSaB, Silkworm and ATBILB are books I can't wait to read!! EEK!!! SO EXCITED!

    Great list!
    ~Fari @ My Little Corner For Books 0:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't decided yet how I feel about the DUFF movie. I saw the trailer for that before I read the book and I know I thought it looked interesting, but now that I have read the book I'm not so sure. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. She has definitely become somebody whose books I will always buy, regardless of the content. And she tweeted back at me a few weeks ago, and I love when authors take the time to interact with their fans.

      Delete
  3. Daughter of Smoke and Bone made my TTT this week too! I haven't read To All the Boys I've Loved Before yet, but Han's Burn for Burn also made my list. I've heard great things about My True Love Gave to Me, and it seems perfect, especially at this time of year. I hope you encounter more great books in 2015!:)

    Claire @ Bookworm Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just picked up a copy of Burn for Burn, so I'll have to move that up my TBR list!
      And you should definitely check out My True Love Gave to Me!!! Most of the stories are just (much) shorter versions of everything people love about YA.

      Delete
  4. I started young adult this year too. (and book blogging) Throne of Glass and Raven Boys are on my want list. (and Seraphina) Smoke and Bone made my list! I love that series. Such great characters, cool atmosphere, just yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Throne of Glass and Raven Boys are books I would suggest reading as soon as possible! They are both absolutely wonderful!!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely loved The DUFF! And even though I also thought some stuff was a bit unrealistic I loved how Kody didn't mind writing about sex and hard stuff on a normal YA, especially sex. Also the sassiness of the characters were great!
    I still have to read both The Silkworm and The Night Circus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the characters in The DUFF! So great.

      Delete
  6. You have some great reads here! And it's nice to see that you don't stick to one specific genre. Rowell and Perkins were on my list, and while I didn't put it up there, I enjoyed My True Love Gave to Me, too.

    Also, Marshmallows rule!! =D

    Lovely blog, by the way! I followed via Bloglovin!

    Brittany @ http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! I've never been a one-genre gal, although of course I have my favorites.

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, I LOVE SJM's Throne of Glass series!! It's perfection. I just finished Raven Boys and my mind is blown!! Great picks :) I absolutely love your blog. Thanks for stopping by :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Throne of Glass and Raven Boys series are going to be books that I'll enjoy reading and re-reading for many years to come!

      Delete
  8. I haven't actually read any of these books! I have heard a lot about The Night Circus, it's on my 2015 reading list!

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I highly recommend The Night Circus! Of course, I'd recommend all of them, but The Night Circus is a really beautiful book.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I lovelovelove Seraphina and Daughter of Smoke and Bone! :) This is one great list. I've had The Night Circus on my tbr for a while now and I've seen nothing but good reviews. I really have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS