Friday, December 12, 2014

Five Friday Favorites - Books You'd Gift

Five Friday Favorites is a meme hosted by Book Badger.


I am definitely a book pusher, and gifting books is something I love to do. Most of the people in my life are also big readers (my three sisters, my best friends, my parents, etc.), so I know that when I give a book as a gift it will be genuinely appreciated. This list includes a few books that I recently gifted for late-fall birthdays or will be gifting at Christmas. With that in mind, HOLLY IF YOU ARE READING THIS BEFORE MONDAY YOU NEED TO STOP NOW. She gets her presents on Monday because I finished my shopping ages ago and I just really want her to have them. 

Anywho..... Here's the list:



Adulting by Kelly Williams Brown. 
This book is based on a very popular blog, also called Adulting. Essentially, this book is all about the things pretty much everybody learns as they transition from being a college student to being a real adult with responsibilities. I flipped through it after I bought it for a Christmas gift, and it really is pretty funny. Definitely a good gift for the 20s crowd.



I bought this as a birthday gift for one of my sisters. She, like the rest of our family, reads all the time, and I happen to know that fantasy is a favorite genre of hers. As soon as I read Seraphina, I knew that Abby would like it. Seraphina is a non-traditional dragon book, and I knew Abby would appreciate Hartman's take on a classical mythical creature.



Not only is everything about this book beautiful, but it's set in Prague. My friend Holly is an avid traveler, and she absolutely loved backpacking across Europe. I am hoping that she loves this book as much as I did, because I thought of her the entire time I was reading it (not in a weird/sketchy way, I promise).


I have a few friends who love beauty and hair and makeup as much as I do, so our conversations always gravitate toward those topics eventually. This is a newer book that a lot of my favorite beauty bloggers have recommended, and I'd honestly love to get my hands on a copy for myself as well.


One of these things is not like the other..... The Metamorphoses is a classic, filled with stories of all the great mythological characters and creatures and stories. I had to buy this version specifically for a classic lit class I took as part of my English degree, and I have to say I fell in love with Mandelbaum's translation. I don't know that I've read any other translations (besides my own when I was taking Latin), so I can't say definitively that this is the best. But I've got a pretty good hunch. It really is beautiful. So many tropes and themes that we see throughout the history of literature and film are based on stories in this book, so for that reason alone I think it's worth a read.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I know I'll be on the look out for The Metamorphoses of Ovid. Once upon a time, I can't get enough of Greek mythology. So this one brings it all back.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS