Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Top Ten Books for readers who like character-driven novels

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

My Picks: Top Ten Books for Readers Who Like Character-Driven Novels

1. Anything by L. M. Montgomery. I LOVED her books when I was younger and they definitely stand the test of time. I've laughed and cried with Anne and Emily and Sara too many times to count, and I especially love re-reading both the Anne series and the Emily series.

 2. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. So this book is obviously full of action, but I love that Card was also devoted to the development of the characters in this book. The readers watch Ender grow up in a world where the adults manipulate everything down to the smallest details; they watch Graff show bits of humanity off and on (but let's not get too carried away there); they even watch Valentine and Peter growing up in their own sort of spotlight.

3. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. While I was reading this book, I couldn't help but wonder if there was secretly a very cute guy reading my work e-mails to and from my mom (yes, we work together.... be jealous), falling in love with me a little more every day. Hey, a girl can dream. 

4. Anything by Tamora Pierce. I know, all of her books are very action packed. BUT if you have ever read any of her series as a whole, you can see how the main characters in each series grow over the years. My favorites are the Alanna and Kel series. Those girls kick butt.

5. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (who is unrelated to *S. Morgenstern as far as I can tell). A beautiful story about two people who work with each other and in opposition to each other, falling in love all the while. And it's magical and wonderful and everything else along those lines.

6. The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (AKA JK Rowling).  I'm pretty sure that crime fiction typically doesn't fall under the character-driven heading, but Rowling is a master, and you can't help but fall in love with Cormoran Strike and Robin Ellacot.

7. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han. This was actually the first book by Jenny Han I'd read, and I just couldn't put it down. At some point I should probably stop identifying so strongly with high schoolers, but I seriously don't see that coming any time soon.

8. The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley. I know, one of Susanna Kearsley's books made it onto last week's list.  But they are JUST SO AWESOME. Besides, I've always loved massive books like these - size matters, y'all. (get your mind out of the gutter! i'm just talking about books here! criminy.) And again, her covers are also beautiful.

9. Sarah Addison Allen's books. All of them. If you like sweet, lovely magical realism or books set in the South, then these are the books for you. My favorites are The Girl Who Chased the Moon and The Peach Keeper, but her most popular is Garden Spells, the sequel to which happens to be set for 2015 publication. 

10. The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis. Although Lewis is mostly known for his Chronicles of Narnia, I think The Screwtape Letters is just so dang clever. I honestly don't think any description I write can really give this book justice.


SO. Is my list random enough for you?


*S. Morgenstern is the fictitious writer of the also-fictitious unabridged version of William Goldman's The Princess Bride. Just a little attempt at humor, but it really only works if you've read the book. The movie uses a different story-within-a-story trope.

8 comments:

  1. One of the reasons I loved To All the Boys I've Loved Before so much is that Lara Jean reminded me so much of who I was in high school. It was down right scary. I am reading The Night Circus right now and loving it. Great list this week.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't much like Lara Jean in high school, but she seems like the kind of person I'd have been BFFs with. Enjoy the rest of The Night Circus!

      Delete
  2. There are a few on this list that are on my wish list. I agree with L. M. Montgomery's heroines; her books have some great characters who drive their stories. My favourites are Emily and Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess I haven't read Pat of Silver Bush yet... But I own it! And it's on the TBR list!

      Delete
  3. Ender's Game? Interesting choice :)
    Here's my list. I've started doing them on YouTube as an experiment. Like and comment if you get a chance. :) http://youtu.be/tDhZFYVvH7U?list=UUP4Ao6fj3mLXHqOSSxyqh8w

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have not read any of the books on this list except To All the Boys I've Loved Before and unfortunately I wasn't THAT impressed with the book :( But I just added Alanna by Tamora Pierce to my TBR! I've been meaning to read her work and am pretty sure I am going to love it!

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  5. To All the Boys is great for this list. Really nicely drawn characters.

    Rainbow Rowell is a master of character. Seriously. And ANNE! Oh, Anne. One of the best characters ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also thought of S. Morgenstern when I saw Erin Morgenstern's name! I love The Princess Bride! "Inconceivable!" :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS