Thursday, October 23, 2014

Throwback Thursday #2 - Song of the Lioness Quartet


Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce
Books: Alanna: The First Adventure; In the Hand of the Goddess
            The Woman Who Rides Like a ManLioness Rampant
Publication Dates: 1983, 1984, 1986, 1988
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Amazon//Goodreads

Synopsis: (From Book 1)
"From now on I'm Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I'll be a knight.

And so young Alanna of Trebond begins the journey to knighthood. Though a girl, Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places: Disguised as a girl, Thom heads for the convent to learn magic; Alanna, pretending to be a boy, is on her way to the castle of King Roald to begin her training as a page.
But the road to knighthood is not an easy one. As Alanna masters the skills necessary for battle, she must also learn to control her heart and to discern her enemies from her allies.

Filled with swords and sorcery, adventure and intrigue, good and evil, Alanna's first adventure begins - one that will lead to the fulfillment of her dreams and the magical destiny that will make her a legend in her land."
Why I love it: I started reading Tamora Pierce's books ages and ages ago. When I was 10, my mom married my step-dad, who's a teacher and therefore had summers off. He suddenly found himself with four times as many children to entertain during the day, so he would take us to the library at least once a week. The first series of hers that I remember reading is The Circle Opens, and since then I've read everything by Tamora Pierce I can get my hands on. The Alanna series is a favorite because it's an underdog story: a young girl who would never make a very good lady switches places with her brother, determined to keep up with the boys while she trains to be a knight. Throughout the first two books her gender is still under wraps (literally...hehehe) with few exceptions, but her secret is revealed at the end of book two. The third and fourth books deal with Alanna's struggle to combine her identity as Alan, the boy with whom her friends grew up, and Alanna, the surprise Lady Knight. I highly, highly recommend these books.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I've heard so much about this series but have never read it. It sounds like it brings back lots of nostalgia. I will have to try it some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything I've ever read by Tamora Pierce, but I think this is the first series by her I remember obsessively re-reading when I was younger. They're pretty quick reads, so it wouldn't be much of a time commitment to check them out!

      Delete
  2. Oh this is definitely old, isn't it?! A goodie, nonetheless. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Well, it's older than me, at least. But it's not as old as your usual Throwback Thursday reads :)

      Delete
  3. I loved this series. It was much better than the Immortal quartet (I think that's what it was called!).
    Must re-read them :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS