Friday, October 10, 2014

Five Friday Favorites - Finales

Five Friday Favourites is a blog meme hosted by Book Badger, and you can read more about the meme here.

This week, the topic for Five Friday Favorites is Favorite Finales. I have to confess: I can be a terrible series reader.... if I don't like the first few books of a series, I have no qualms quitting altogether. And to be honest, I haven't really LOVED many of the series finales that I've read lately (I'm looking at you, Allegient). Here are some of finales that I did love:




1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling. What kind of list would this be without Harry Potter? As far as I'm concerned, HP deserves a spot on pretty much every list of favorite anything related to books. I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as soon as it came out, and it was JUST SO GOOD. I know there were people who didn't care as much for the epilogue, but I was not one of them.

2. Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery. This last book in the Anne of Green Gables series is a departure from the rest of the series in that it focuses on Anne's youngest daughter, Bertha Marilla Blythe, or Rilla. It's set during WWI, and many people regard it as one of the best descriptions of civilian life during that time. I just love it to pieces.

3. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. The Infernal Devices series was probably the first YA series I had read (besides the Hunger Games, which I borrowed from my parents and therefore never thought of as YA) in a very long time. I'm so glad I loved it as much as I did, because it reminded me how much I do love the YA genre. And I definitely like the Infernal Devices series better than the Mortal Instrument series, although I've only read books 1-3 in that series.

4. Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins. I thought this whole series was so dang cute. I loved each of the three books individually, and I loved the points where they intersected. I did find myself flipping back to Anna and the French Kiss on occasion while I was reading this, but it could easily function as a standalone.

5. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Like I mentioned before, the Hunger Games trilogy was the first YA reading I'd done in several years. I read The Hunger Games in one day, then I read Catching Fire the next day, and then I waited an ENTIRE YEAR to read Mockingjay. I had heard a lot of polarizing things about Mockingjay, and I was just plain scared that I wouldn't like it. There were certainly aspects that I didn't like as much, but I'm not really sure how Collins could have ended the series any better.


*Bonus* I know that Crown of Midnight is only the second book in the series, BUT I absolutely love the very end (finale, if you will) of this book, when Chaol finally figures out Celaena's true identity. LOVE IT.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, great picks!! I LOVE Crown of Midnight :) Clockwork Princess was a beautiful ending <3

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rilla of Ingleside too! It's one of my favorites by L. M. Montgomery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loooooved Isla! It's my favorite of the series. I like the progression of Josh and Isla's relationship - it's not written that way a lot in YA, even though it happens in real life like that tons.
    I wasn't a fan of Mockinjay. Katniss' character really started to grate on me. :/

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS